Saturday, June 24, 2006

GPMS

It was a Fri morning and my manager was walking around my cube, and i can sense that he has something to tell me. Therefore i made initiative to ask ....

Me :Hi, ***, is there anything i can help?
Manager : Yes, did **** (someone else) told you that the
GPMS is due on next week?
Me : Oh really? I am not aware of that!
Manager : She didnt informed you on this? Alright
i sent you the email and you follow up for
me.
Me : Oh alright. Thanks for telling me this.

Ok, let me explain here, GPMS stands fro Goal & Planning Metrics Statistic
Similar to the appraisal, the different is I have to figure out myself on how to write it. The hard part is that I got to make sure I do what I write for the next 6 months. As this GPMS directly impact my review points.

Why so many reports to be done??

Weekly report to report what I had done for the past 1 week.
Monthly report to report what I had done for the past 1 month and also to check whether I meet my planning as what I had stated in my weekly report.
Quarterly report to report events for the past 3 months and consolidate my monthly reports in to 1.
GPMS; need to submit twice a year.
Motive; to set your own goal and planning, rate the priority with point weighting scale.


:”O What a……now I wonder why managers are busy. They have too many reports to review, to approve and sign off. For my group, we have about 10 persons reporting to a manager. By looking at my definition above;

1 employee submits 1 report every week, means 52 in a year.
1 employee submits 1 report every month, means 12 in a year.
1 employee submits 1 report every quarter, means 4 in a year.
(Number of reports may be different for different group, I guess my reports is more than others as I am in the SOX audit team)

Total up these numbers; 1 employee submits 68 reports in a year. For our group of 10, my manager needs to review 680 reports in a year.

The are total of 5 groups in IT (for my company) every group will have 1 Principle Engineer (equivalent to Staff Engineer) / Manager/ Assistant manager as a group leader. All 5 group leaders will report to 1 Director. Now I know why my director is so busy, imagine the number of reports for him to review? I guess he don’t even have time to look at it!
======================================================
Here are some of pictures taken recently; not much changes ......
From top = most recent to bottom = 2 months old













No comments: