Saturday, November 24, 2012

Oral Maintenance

I believe many people don't visit dentist as much as we visit Dr. for whatever reasons. People remember of doing yearly body checkup, scan this and test that to see which part of our body had gone wrong and looking out for an early detection. Think again, how many of us visit dentist at a static period of time like every 6 or 12 months? The answer is very obvious, i would say majority of us DONT SEE DENTIST. Oh yea, i was one of it. We only go to dentist when we have toothache or something very serious had happened in our mouth. 

I am the very good example. Before 2011, i really cant remember when was my last visit to dentist. If i remember correctly it should be at least 4 to 5 years ago. Thats pretty sad yea....I didnt take good care of my teeth. Why i mentioned year 2011? Why only after that i changed my mind? 

Hehe, obviously something serious had happened and that made me see my dentist for help. Last year November, one of my front tooth chipped and it made up a very obvious hole from the front row of my teeth. Yea, its very ugly and so i made an emergency call to the our family dentist in Puchong for help. Dr Ho very kind to cancel other appointment just to take me as an emergency case. She suggested to form up bridge for me, with that I would need to sacrifice the other 2 teeth next to the damaged tooth. Please see my older post  My new teeth 

And that made my teeth looks nicer since then as Dr Ho helped to 'adjust' my teeth so that it looks all aligned. The crown is beautifully cement nicely. I paid $1950 for this treatment. 

After 6 months, I detected another problem with my modular tooth at lower left jaw. The tooth fractured and it was beyond saving by tooth filling therapy. I wanted to extract that tooth but Dr Ho advised me not to since the tooth still in 'good condition' as in no cavities attacked and I don't have toothache problem. She said if I can afford then better keep the tooth. So I took her advise and we did modular root canal. Please see my older post  Root Canal  I paid 700 for this treatment. 

And you thought the story end there. Actually no....... hehhee after 2 months, I had a very severe toothache for weeks but  I just ignored it. At first i thought it was just gum sensitivity so I felt the pain when I eat. And the pain was not consistent so I did not pay extra attention onto it. But I was wrong, the pain became more severe and consistent and it was very disturbing. I should have just called for MC and run to Dr Ho but I didn't. I was taking pain killer and drinking cough syrup that made me drowsy at night so that I can sleep. The pain was very severe and was affecting me very badly. I finally got my slot to see Dr Ho. I was hoping she can just extract the tooth so that no more pain could hit me. The moment i saw her, she asked me a few questions like whether I can eat, i can sleep and most importantly how much pain I felt from this tooth. Dr Ho telling if the pain is severe she cant give any treatment until the condition get better. As the tooth sensitiveness to water, wind will not allow her to do anything to me on that day. And so i was given pain killer, antibiotic and something to calm my tooth and gums. I visit her again after 5 days, I told her straight to do anything she can but not extract my tooth. And there goes another root canal treatment. As this is the normal tooth unit so i paid $500

And today, Nov 2012, after 1 year since my first visit to Dr Ho Clinic. I did my modular crown and that cost  $650. I will follow up with another crown next month and standard price she charge me $650. The flow is when any of your tooth did root cause it is advisable to catch up with crowning within 6 months period. So I did 2 root canal, I had covered crowning for the first modular tooth, so the 2nd tooth will be done in Dec.

I also made a calculation on how much i spent since November 2011, here is the breakdown:
1. 3 units bridge crowning - 650 x 3 = $1950
2. Modular unit root canal - $700
3. Front unit root canal - $500
4. Teeth scaling - $80
5. Teeth filling - $160
6. Modular single unit crown - $650
7. Front unit crown - $650

Total spending $4690

And now you tell me you still want to skip your yearly dental checkup? 

No comments: