Here I come for my 2nd round of Kota Kinabalu visit. I went there 2 yrs ago and I go again this time because I did not hit my objective last round. I made all the arrangement for our hiking trip this round and I was waiting it since 9 months ago. Finally the day has come!! Here my luggage for the trip. Thanks to my lovely sister who sponsored this Samsonite bag to me. It looks small but its enough for my 1 week trip.

It was a bad start as I did not know when I twisted my ankle, its not that painful but I got to prepared and make sure I am fit enough for the long distance hike. I went to see the chinese massage master and he said I should not hike but I said I have no choice, haha! So he asked me to wear ankle guard at all times and I listened! See?

Its really not a good start as Air Asia delayed our flight from 8pm to 9pm. First they changed the time from morning 1030 to 2005. Thats why I flew over a night a head. And now, from 2005 delayed to 2105!! Crap!! Cheap ticket punya pasal!! Even its late and I think my feeling still good.

Day 1, Tunku Abdul Rahman Park visit.
I was sitting in the boat, prepared to go to Manukan Island. The expenses incurred as below:
1. The boat transfer for 2 islands cost $23 per pax
2. Jetty tax $6
3. Island entrance fee $3
4. Total $32 per pax.
5. If you would like to snorkeling then equipment rental will cost you $15.

Crystal clear water and various type of fishes

The Manukan Island Jetty

The beach

At the sea

Me in my pareo for the first time, haha!

The black shadow is not a shadow but thousands of tiny fishes gathering together. Yes, those are fish.

By the beach side at Sapi Island

Sapi Island jetty, I was waiting for my boat.

Me between the 2 island, Mamutik (left) and Gaya island (right)

Upon arrival at the KK town, we took a cab to our apartment. Likas Square Apartment, it looks so cool and cozy!! I love it so much. Here are some of the photos in our room. We paid $72 for 2 nights (shared by 12) 1 night about $216. If you have more ppl, this apartment is a good choice.
Kitchen

Living hall

The bar

Shower room, familiar? Like my sis house's toilet. :P

The master bedroom

Master bedroom toilet

My room

My skin reaction over the sun after 1 full day sun bath at the beach.


My lovely cousin Jesslyn and her man Kenzi arrived at night, and we went out to Phillipino market to have dinner.

3 of us, as a family and family member to be (Kenzi). This was my 1st time travel experience with them, (after so many years!!) and it was awesome and we should do it again next time.

The giant size of prawns and squids.

Day 2 Tuaran, Kudat and Tip of the Borneo visit
1st stop, Tuaran mee for breakfast. We spent around 30 mins to find this place, its not far from KK town. This was recommended by a local guy.

Me at Tuaran. :) Its Tuaran not TuaLan ......

The delicious Tuaran mee. The noodles is so nice, I tasted eggs and flour, the noodles itself already very tasty.

Our car of the day, Saga which cost us $140 a day.

On our way to Kudat, here is the decent photo of mine. I was wearing my ankle guard. Kudat is about 1.5 to 2 hours drive from KK town.

Me in the Rungus Long House bedroom

The living area of the long house

Took a group photo before we left this place. Not forget to mention, entrance fee of $3 per pax is required to enter this place.

2 ladies posing at Kudat

2nd stop, the Gombizau Bee Farm. Entrance fee of $5 required per person

The lady was trying to 'drug' the bees with the smoke, so that bees will became blur-blur and would not attack us. :P

Smoke from the coconut skin (I guess)

Ready for the honey extraction?

It may looks disgusting but this is how honey is processed

We got the chance to taste the honey, freshly cut from the honeycomb.


3rd stop, The tip of the Borneo, no entrance fee required. This place was not in our plan initially but we met a sabahan at the farm and they asked us to come by since we were already in Kudat. Tip of the Borneo is another 45 mins drive from Kudat. The road condition is really bad BUT it worth to go as the view from the top is superb.
Jess and I, standing on the rocks

The beautiful reflection on the ocean

The killing scene, yes I know my camera is not a good one, but I tried to get best shot that I can have. :D

Lady under the sun at Borneo land.



Note the Geographic location



I like this the most.

Me posing under the tree

The sand and I

Tip: If you are going back to KK town on the same day, please take in consideration of the road condition and time spent to reach the town. It is best that you do not stay later than 5pm as the day gets dark by 6pm in Sabah. When its dark, its really dark there.
Day 3 Casual shopping
Our breakfast at KK town, Jess and KZ

Me looking fresh in the morning

ChoonWooi having his 3 colours milk tea

From top, Tea, Milk and Sugar

The noodles with CharSiew

Roasted Chicken

Spent some time at the souveniors shop before we left to KK park





Meat the KK town bus terminal. We were moving to Inanam Express Bus Terminal. The ticket per pax is only $1.50, traveling about 7km from town.

Here we are in the Express bus to KK park. Ticket per pax is $15. If you want to avoid the hassle, hire a taxi and pay $200 bucks instead. From Inanam to KK park took us about 1.5 hours.

Fresh looking me

Everyone still very fresh

The bus ticket, in fact the bus was going to Sandakan, 6 hours drive from Inanam terminal. Since it will be passing by the KK park HQ entrance, so alot of back packers took this bus to KK park as its so much cheaper than hire a cab.

Entrance to KK park required entrance fee of $3 per person. Upon registration and ID tag collection, we got into our shuttle (Toyota Unser) and being transferred to Mersilau Resort, where is another 30 mins drive from KK Park HQ office. Our package does not include the entrace fee and mountain guide fee, we paid additional $115 for the guide. Crap!! This Sutera Sanctuary company really sucks our blood!! Then again, we DO NOT have other choice as they monopolized the entire KK park business.
Abit more on our package $489
1. 1 night stay at Mersilau Resort
2. 1 night stay at Gunting Lagadan Hut
3. 7 meals provided
a. Steamboat dinner at Mersilau resort
b. Breakfast at Mersilau resort
c. Packed lunch
d. Dinner at Laban Rata
e. Early supper at Laban Rata
f. Breakfast at Laban Rata
g. Lunch/Dinner at Balsom Cafe (depends what time you touch the ground)
4. Climbing permit and insurance
5. Land transfer from KK HQ to Mersilau
For the same package, if you booked from a travel agency, prepare min $700- 800. You cant say they chop you because they included all the transportation arrangement for you. Bear in mind, all packages does not include Mt guide fee, so if you pay 700, you need to add in the share of the Mt guide fee.

Before leaving to Mersilau resort, we took our lunch at the local store. This fried rice is so tasty!!

I ate this noodles, nice and yummy! May be we were too hungry haha!

Here I am, standing at the Mersilau office

Some shots showing how was our room looks like.

I think they improved their services after increasing price over the years. Now all resorts comes with beverages.

Also the toilettries kit - Shower gel, shampoo, lotion, shower cap and etc. Not bad huh!!

Me

Corridor

Living area


Dining area

Kitchen

Day 4 Laban Rata via Mersilau Trail

Group photo before we start our day

I am holding the ID again, after 2 yrs!! I still looking happy and fresh.

Jess and I at the entrance point

Mersilau view



After 1km hike, we stopped for a short rest.

Me and our guide Izzuddin.

After the 1st stop, we were 'separated' to 2 groups, me ALONE and the other 3. Haha, I was all the way alone until Laban Rata!

As I was alone, so I took some photos by myself.

The trail looks tough but still doable if you trained enough

After 5 km, here was the place we rest for our lunch.

CW in Victory sign

KZ in Victory sign

When we finished eating, journey continued

This sign tells you that you are not far from Laban Rata. From here is another 2 km to reach Laban Rata but the 2 km takes forever to finish.

As the sea level increasing, the trail become rocky


I was here 2 yrs ago, I felt great when walking over. Its time to hit the peak again.


After almost 7 hrs, I saw this. The magnificient mountain at all times.





Laban Rata hut


Gunting Lagadan Hut


Me in the dark

The sunset




After waiting for 1.5 hr, the other 3 had arrived at Laban Rata, we had our dinner together.

Me looking fresh still


V again? Any other sign please?

Prepare to sleep and the more hectic hike tmr morning

Day 5 - Hit the Low's peak
Sunrise, from here, I need not to explain where the place is. See for yourself for the highest peak of the country - Kinabalu Mountain in Kota Kinabalu














CW, me and our guide at the peak

Haha after so much hard work, I finally did it. I was attacked by altitude sickness when going down from peak as body temperature changed too fast, I wanted to die there but still walking slowly back to Laban Rata. Hiking up from Laban Rata took me abt 3.5 hrs and coming down abt 3 hrs.

Upon reaching the ground, we took a cab from HQ to Tunes hotel at 150 bucks (shared by 4).
The room looks OK for me as I have not much complain since I only paid 50 bucks for the room.

Just remember bring your own towel, toilettries as it is NOT provided. If you need, you need to pay 5 bucks.

Sorry the bed looks messy as I took after I slept for a night. Hehe! Too tired to take photo on the 1st night when I already spent almost 20 hours hiking at the mountain.

The Tunes hotel system track the usage of your air cond, means when you are not using it, the timer stopped. Not bad , quite a good idea. Oh yes, when you book the room, the air cond is also not included and you need to pay for air cond. Only fan is given, haha!

That was the last night I spent in Sabah. And the next day we walked around at the 1Borneo shopping mall - largest in KK. We left from Tunes hotel on the shuttle at 1430. We paid 35 bucks (shared by 4), not expensive. After this trip, I realized going to Sabah MUST NOT hire a cab unless you have no choice. Its better to rent a car to drive around as cab driver will really chop your head OFF.
The trip was so wondereful for me as I had met my objective. I had blue blacks and scars all over but I have no regrets because I hit the peak this round. Its a slightly different feeling for me as the one who supposed to go with me decided not to join our trip. Then again, I have no regrets for what I had decided and its my life time experience for doing this. I am happy that I spent my time in Sabah with my friends and cousins. Thanks to all who made this trip success.
Next stop, Medan Lake Toba. :D Never stop hiking!
It was a bad start as I did not know when I twisted my ankle, its not that painful but I got to prepared and make sure I am fit enough for the long distance hike. I went to see the chinese massage master and he said I should not hike but I said I have no choice, haha! So he asked me to wear ankle guard at all times and I listened! See?
Its really not a good start as Air Asia delayed our flight from 8pm to 9pm. First they changed the time from morning 1030 to 2005. Thats why I flew over a night a head. And now, from 2005 delayed to 2105!! Crap!! Cheap ticket punya pasal!! Even its late and I think my feeling still good.
Day 1, Tunku Abdul Rahman Park visit.
I was sitting in the boat, prepared to go to Manukan Island. The expenses incurred as below:
1. The boat transfer for 2 islands cost $23 per pax
2. Jetty tax $6
3. Island entrance fee $3
4. Total $32 per pax.
5. If you would like to snorkeling then equipment rental will cost you $15.
Crystal clear water and various type of fishes
The Manukan Island Jetty
The beach
At the sea
Me in my pareo for the first time, haha!

The black shadow is not a shadow but thousands of tiny fishes gathering together. Yes, those are fish.
By the beach side at Sapi Island
Sapi Island jetty, I was waiting for my boat.

Me between the 2 island, Mamutik (left) and Gaya island (right)

Upon arrival at the KK town, we took a cab to our apartment. Likas Square Apartment, it looks so cool and cozy!! I love it so much. Here are some of the photos in our room. We paid $72 for 2 nights (shared by 12) 1 night about $216. If you have more ppl, this apartment is a good choice.
Kitchen
Living hall
The bar
Shower room, familiar? Like my sis house's toilet. :P
The master bedroom
Master bedroom toilet
My room
My skin reaction over the sun after 1 full day sun bath at the beach.
My lovely cousin Jesslyn and her man Kenzi arrived at night, and we went out to Phillipino market to have dinner.
3 of us, as a family and family member to be (Kenzi). This was my 1st time travel experience with them, (after so many years!!) and it was awesome and we should do it again next time.
The giant size of prawns and squids.
Day 2 Tuaran, Kudat and Tip of the Borneo visit
1st stop, Tuaran mee for breakfast. We spent around 30 mins to find this place, its not far from KK town. This was recommended by a local guy.

Me at Tuaran. :) Its Tuaran not TuaLan ......

The delicious Tuaran mee. The noodles is so nice, I tasted eggs and flour, the noodles itself already very tasty.
Our car of the day, Saga which cost us $140 a day.
On our way to Kudat, here is the decent photo of mine. I was wearing my ankle guard. Kudat is about 1.5 to 2 hours drive from KK town.

Me in the Rungus Long House bedroom

The living area of the long house
Took a group photo before we left this place. Not forget to mention, entrance fee of $3 per pax is required to enter this place.

2 ladies posing at Kudat

2nd stop, the Gombizau Bee Farm. Entrance fee of $5 required per person
The lady was trying to 'drug' the bees with the smoke, so that bees will became blur-blur and would not attack us. :P
Smoke from the coconut skin (I guess)
Ready for the honey extraction?
It may looks disgusting but this is how honey is processed
We got the chance to taste the honey, freshly cut from the honeycomb.

3rd stop, The tip of the Borneo, no entrance fee required. This place was not in our plan initially but we met a sabahan at the farm and they asked us to come by since we were already in Kudat. Tip of the Borneo is another 45 mins drive from Kudat. The road condition is really bad BUT it worth to go as the view from the top is superb.
Jess and I, standing on the rocks
The beautiful reflection on the ocean
The killing scene, yes I know my camera is not a good one, but I tried to get best shot that I can have. :D
Lady under the sun at Borneo land.


Note the Geographic location
I like this the most.
Me posing under the tree
The sand and I

Tip: If you are going back to KK town on the same day, please take in consideration of the road condition and time spent to reach the town. It is best that you do not stay later than 5pm as the day gets dark by 6pm in Sabah. When its dark, its really dark there.
Day 3 Casual shopping
Our breakfast at KK town, Jess and KZ
Me looking fresh in the morning
ChoonWooi having his 3 colours milk tea
From top, Tea, Milk and Sugar
The noodles with CharSiew
Roasted Chicken
Spent some time at the souveniors shop before we left to KK park
Meat the KK town bus terminal. We were moving to Inanam Express Bus Terminal. The ticket per pax is only $1.50, traveling about 7km from town.
Here we are in the Express bus to KK park. Ticket per pax is $15. If you want to avoid the hassle, hire a taxi and pay $200 bucks instead. From Inanam to KK park took us about 1.5 hours.
Fresh looking me
Everyone still very fresh
The bus ticket, in fact the bus was going to Sandakan, 6 hours drive from Inanam terminal. Since it will be passing by the KK park HQ entrance, so alot of back packers took this bus to KK park as its so much cheaper than hire a cab.
Entrance to KK park required entrance fee of $3 per person. Upon registration and ID tag collection, we got into our shuttle (Toyota Unser) and being transferred to Mersilau Resort, where is another 30 mins drive from KK Park HQ office. Our package does not include the entrace fee and mountain guide fee, we paid additional $115 for the guide. Crap!! This Sutera Sanctuary company really sucks our blood!! Then again, we DO NOT have other choice as they monopolized the entire KK park business.
Abit more on our package $489
1. 1 night stay at Mersilau Resort
2. 1 night stay at Gunting Lagadan Hut
3. 7 meals provided
a. Steamboat dinner at Mersilau resort
b. Breakfast at Mersilau resort
c. Packed lunch
d. Dinner at Laban Rata
e. Early supper at Laban Rata
f. Breakfast at Laban Rata
g. Lunch/Dinner at Balsom Cafe (depends what time you touch the ground)
4. Climbing permit and insurance
5. Land transfer from KK HQ to Mersilau
For the same package, if you booked from a travel agency, prepare min $700- 800. You cant say they chop you because they included all the transportation arrangement for you. Bear in mind, all packages does not include Mt guide fee, so if you pay 700, you need to add in the share of the Mt guide fee.
Before leaving to Mersilau resort, we took our lunch at the local store. This fried rice is so tasty!!
I ate this noodles, nice and yummy! May be we were too hungry haha!
Here I am, standing at the Mersilau office

Some shots showing how was our room looks like.
I think they improved their services after increasing price over the years. Now all resorts comes with beverages.
Also the toilettries kit - Shower gel, shampoo, lotion, shower cap and etc. Not bad huh!!
Me
Corridor
Living area
Dining area
Kitchen
Day 4 Laban Rata via Mersilau Trail

Group photo before we start our day
I am holding the ID again, after 2 yrs!! I still looking happy and fresh.

Jess and I at the entrance point

Mersilau view
After 1km hike, we stopped for a short rest.
Me and our guide Izzuddin.
After the 1st stop, we were 'separated' to 2 groups, me ALONE and the other 3. Haha, I was all the way alone until Laban Rata!
As I was alone, so I took some photos by myself.

The trail looks tough but still doable if you trained enough
After 5 km, here was the place we rest for our lunch.

CW in Victory sign
KZ in Victory sign
When we finished eating, journey continued
This sign tells you that you are not far from Laban Rata. From here is another 2 km to reach Laban Rata but the 2 km takes forever to finish.
As the sea level increasing, the trail become rocky
I was here 2 yrs ago, I felt great when walking over. Its time to hit the peak again.
After almost 7 hrs, I saw this. The magnificient mountain at all times.
Laban Rata hut

Gunting Lagadan Hut
Me in the dark

The sunset
After waiting for 1.5 hr, the other 3 had arrived at Laban Rata, we had our dinner together.
Me looking fresh still

V again? Any other sign please?
Prepare to sleep and the more hectic hike tmr morning

Day 5 - Hit the Low's peak
Sunrise, from here, I need not to explain where the place is. See for yourself for the highest peak of the country - Kinabalu Mountain in Kota Kinabalu









CW, me and our guide at the peak

Haha after so much hard work, I finally did it. I was attacked by altitude sickness when going down from peak as body temperature changed too fast, I wanted to die there but still walking slowly back to Laban Rata. Hiking up from Laban Rata took me abt 3.5 hrs and coming down abt 3 hrs.

Upon reaching the ground, we took a cab from HQ to Tunes hotel at 150 bucks (shared by 4).
The room looks OK for me as I have not much complain since I only paid 50 bucks for the room.
Just remember bring your own towel, toilettries as it is NOT provided. If you need, you need to pay 5 bucks.
Sorry the bed looks messy as I took after I slept for a night. Hehe! Too tired to take photo on the 1st night when I already spent almost 20 hours hiking at the mountain.
The Tunes hotel system track the usage of your air cond, means when you are not using it, the timer stopped. Not bad , quite a good idea. Oh yes, when you book the room, the air cond is also not included and you need to pay for air cond. Only fan is given, haha!
That was the last night I spent in Sabah. And the next day we walked around at the 1Borneo shopping mall - largest in KK. We left from Tunes hotel on the shuttle at 1430. We paid 35 bucks (shared by 4), not expensive. After this trip, I realized going to Sabah MUST NOT hire a cab unless you have no choice. Its better to rent a car to drive around as cab driver will really chop your head OFF.
The trip was so wondereful for me as I had met my objective. I had blue blacks and scars all over but I have no regrets because I hit the peak this round. Its a slightly different feeling for me as the one who supposed to go with me decided not to join our trip. Then again, I have no regrets for what I had decided and its my life time experience for doing this. I am happy that I spent my time in Sabah with my friends and cousins. Thanks to all who made this trip success.
Next stop, Medan Lake Toba. :D Never stop hiking!
No comments:
Post a Comment