Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Betamethasone oral medication review

A week before my skin was very bad infected by eczema and I rushed to a dermatologist and I was then diagnosed with Atopic Eczema. Alright, lets cut the story short. I was prescribed with alot of creams, body and lotion as well as oral medication.

The thing here is, everything works very well on me and in just 24 hours my skin get improved, although it get drying up and making me having problem bending my fingers. But the recovery is rather very quick, in just 72 hours, I have my old skin back!

I always like to read about eczema articles and understand on how to put it under control. Of course, If given a choice, I dont want to take any oral medication. However, my current infection stated make Dr. classified as high severity and therefore all medication and cream prescribed are are classified as potent. So I am now FULL OF STEROID!!

Other than Cetaphil stuffs, all other creams that I am currently using are all steroid, including the medication given. Lets talk about steroid, what is steroid and its side effects!

What is betamethasone?
Betamethasone is in a class of drugs called steroids which prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.

Possible side effects of betamethasone?
You may experience some side effects as below; If you experience very serious effect, Call your doctor at once:
1. Problems with your vision;
2. Swelling, rapid weight gain, feeling short of breath;
3. Severe depression, unusual thoughts or behavior, seizure (convulsions);
4. Bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood;
5. Pancreatitis (severe pain in your upper stomach spreading to your back, nausea and
     vomiting, fast heart rate);
6. Low potassium (confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg
    discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling); or
7. High blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion,      chest pain, shortness of breath, uneven heartbeats, seizure).

Less serious side effects may include:
8. Sleep problems (insomnia), mood changes;
9. Acne, dry skin, thinning skin, bruising or discoloration;
10. Slow wound healing;
11. Increased sweating;
12. Headache, dizziness, spinning sensation;
13. Nausea, stomach pain, bloating; or changes in the shape or location of body fat
      (especially in your arms, legs, face, neck, breasts, and waist).

In which I am affected for effect no. 2, I was having hearing and breathing interruption on the 1st day, where I could not breathe smoothly - like how you breathe when you having very bad flu and your ears cant really hear very clearly.  I also see effect no. 9 as my skin was very very dry and thin.

Dr. Chua informed me that Steroid medication can weaken your immune system, making it easier for you to get an infection or worsening an infection you already have or have recently had. This is definitely not something that you want then Dr. will give you. For my case, it was the last resort to stop my skin inflammation.

According to the article, when you are on steroid you should avoid being near people who are sick or have infections. Some infections can be serious or even fatal in people who are using steroid medication.

Do not receive a "live" vaccine while you are taking betamethasone. Vaccines may not work well while you are taking a steroid.

Do not stop using betamethasone suddenly, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Talk to your doctor about how to avoid withdrawal symptoms when stopping the medication.

Take this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not take the medication in larger amounts, or take it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.


Source: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/drug-betamethasone_oral/article_em.htm

No comments: